I enjoy jewellery. Most of mine isn’t particularly valuable in terms of precious stones and such, but it’s attractive. However, being a witchy lady, I seldom wear any which is merely decorative. It has magical significance too. (If you’ve been reading me elsewhere, you might already know this.) Often I use crystals which are credited with magical properties, such as healing or protection. Or I wear pieces which incorporate symbols, such as the five-pointed star, the spiral, or a particular bird or animal totem (owl, fox, cat, crow, dragon…).
Such pieces come with their magic built-in – by the chemical composition of the crystal or the widely-agreed-upon and/or historical significance of a particular symbol. It's OK to wear fake crystals or imitation gemstones, too. They won't have the chemical composition of the real thing, but colours and shapes carry their own energy, which can benefit us. This applies also to costume jewellery that's not pretending to be anything else.
This pendant was given to me a number of years ago, as a Christmas present from my then-new d-i-l and step-grand-daughter, on the first Christmas I spent with them after my son and they joined as family. They gave it to me as decorative, because they liked it and because it matched a beautiful caftan they also gave me.
When I wear it, the first thing it brings to me, of course, is the love and welcome with which it was given. Then, the colour green represents Nature, of great spiritual and practical importance to any witch.
Some of the beads are round, as is the big disc front centre. This suggests the eternal female, the Goddess. (And the disc hangs directly over my diaphragm, the position where one can be protected against invasive or harmful energy.) Others are square, which can mean grounding, or their angularity might suggest maleness: the God, the consort of the Goddess. Others are equal-armed crosses, not the same shape as the Christian cross but instead a symbol of protection and balance. A clear glass bead represents purity, and the Light.
And the earrings? Yes, they are always meaningful too. You can’t see them so well in this photo, but thrones I’m wearing here are a little cat which was given to me by a dear friend some years ago, as a pendant, because I am a cat lover. But I don’t go for pendant ornaments that little, so I converted it to an earring. On the other ear is a little angel. I like to think that cats are angels in disguise. Certainly my last cat, Poppi, was!
So you see, we can imbue something with magic on purpose, by our own decision and willpower, according to its associations. Making those associations and continuing to view the item in that way will do it.
One might also go further, magically consecrating an item – whether or not it already has power of its own – and charging it for your use. How do you do that? You can find various methods by googling. Pick the one you like best.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment moderation is regretfully enabled. If your non-spam comment doesn't appear immediately, don't panic; it soon will.
If you are forced to comment anonymously, please add your name at the end of your typing.